You are your own worst enemy. No amount of funding, know-how, and resources change the fact that it's HARD to step outside of yourself and determine step one. You need to stop wasting time. You need to be pointed down a path. You need to get unstuck ».
The first step is always admitting you have a problem. Schedule your hour with me.
We talk through your sticking points. It's kinda like therapy, except I'll never ask "how does that make you feel?".
You hit the ground running, knowing that necessary first or next step to make sure you're on your way to get something done.
You receive: a private hour-long chat (text video or audio) about your specific problem, a loving kick in the pants and your next action step. It's the only item on the menu, and it's $140.
Potential side effects may include validation, support, and words of encouragement.
Interested in Coworking? We've got a special deal for you.
I'm Alex Hillman, and I've done a fair amount of my own "unsticking." I've made cross-industry career shifts, successfully quit my job to found multiple companies and grow great client relationships, built and advised dozens of software projects and startups, said no to moving to the silicon valley, spoken in front of crowds across the country, helped found a coworking community where I was told it couldn't be done and led others to do the same, dreamed up - planned - and thrown hundreds of well attended events, and helped put my region - and my community - on the map.
I know first hand that the best conclusions are often the most difficult to come to alone. Next steps aren't always obvious. My best work has come from approaching a problem, distilling it to action items. I've shared that ability with friends and family. Now I'm sharing it with you.
I call Alex whenever I'm stuck. He always finds a way to cut through the fluff and get straight to the root of the problem. By the time we're done talking, I know exactly what I need to do next. Thanks Alex!
Whenever I dream of an ideal product to meet a need, Alex can point to the best one that exists, or shows me how to hack it if it doesn't.
Alex has a way of taking a neutral third party approach, with just enough devil's advocate to steer the ship in a new direction. I've looked to him for navigation more than a few times. I always appreciate the new perspective.
Alex combines the intuition and knowledge to solve the projects we've presented to him and he does it in lightning speed. Alex thinks creatively like an artist, but blends it with technical knowledge that leads him to valuable solutions.
I only rarely experience stickiness issues. But when I get good and stuck, Alex is the only industrial solvent strong enough to cut me free. Alex not only always *gets it*, he takes it and runs with it.
When I've asked Alex for advice, I've left knowing what I need to do next, not because he told me what to do, but because he helped me work through my own thoughts in a way that no other person I've met could.
The Frequently Asked Questions (that don't require an appointment)
- Who are you?
- I'm Alex. Who are you?
- Where in the world are you?
- I call Philadelphia home, but I travel pretty often. My unsticking abilities haven't been known to change based on altitude or humidity. So it shouldn't matter.
- Are you a therapist?
- In the clinical sense, absolutely not. I'm not a doctor. I cannot prescribe medicine. I can, however, give you the boost you need or get that weight off your shoulders.
- When and where can we meet?
- In the interest of keeping expenses low and being able to provide transcripts, I'm trying to do all of my unsticking virtually. Tools like Campfire, iChat, and Skype make it easy for us to converse and have a log. As far as a time, you'll be picking from available slots when you buy your hour.
- Do you offer a discount? I'm poor.
- We've all been there, but if I give you a discount, I have to give everyone a discount. That's how I end up poor and unable to keep helping people. I plan to offer group sessions for free, though, via u-stream. Hopefully one a month. Keep your eyes peeled to my blog and twitter for that.
- That hour rocked my world. Can I get another? How about another?
- There's no limit to the hour-long sessions you can reserve with me. If you're interested in a longer-term engagement, though, I'm available as a "normal sized" consultant (as opposed to this micro-consulting gig).
- Micro-consultant? What's that?
- It's a consultant who's shorter than average. Example? Eric Murphy from Entourage. He's a "micro-manager".
The real story: I used to be a web developer (I built this site, in fact). One of the things I missed since becoming a consultant was the ability to do quickie, one-off projects. Ramp up, execute, ramp down. Consulting typically requires longer-term engagements. The thought was to create engagements that maximized value for the customer but still allowed me that "quick fix". I realized that I spent a good deal of time successfully "unsticking" others, and thought that this concept would be fun, scalable, and most importantly provide value.
- Didn't you used to charge $240? What the hell happened?